Rule changes Summary for the 2019 season
Playing Conditions (Main Competition)
18e. Wides. Any Offside or Leg Side delivery which in the opinion of the Umpire does not give the batsman a reasonable opportunity to score, shall be called a “wide”. Two lines shall be marked at each end of the pitch running parallel to the return crease, 17 inches from the return crease. (This is to assist umpires when judging wide deliveries on the Offside of the wicket). In the Premier Division only, for guidance purposes, any ball which passes leg side of the striker and leg side of the wicket, shall be called a wide. Any ball passing on the legside of the batsman outside of the 17” line should be classed as a wide in division 1 and below – Legside wides will now only apply in the premier division, Wides was amended at the AGM so that it now states that "Any ball passing on the legside of the batsmen outside of the 17" line should be classed as a wide"
It should be noted that this does not override Law 22 which defines a wide as a ball which is not sufficiently within reach for the batter to be able to hit it with the bat "by means of a normal cricket stroke".
Rule 18(e) defines the 'extremity' of the legside delivery (i.e.) any ball passing outside the 17" line should automatically be called a wide, unless the batsmen had moved significantly. However, balls inside this 17" line on the legside would still be considered as wide if they do not meet the definition contained in Law 22. Particularly in Div 1, we would still expect umpires to be calling wide ball for balls which pass within the 17" line on the leg side.
There is no change to the rules for "offside wides" where the 17" line remains as a guide to umpires.
- Bowling Restrictions. In the Saturday divisions, one bowler may bowl a maximum of fifteen overs and all other bowlers will be limited to a maximum of twelve overs each. These restrictions will remain the same in any reduced overs innings (due to disruption mid game) and for the first 45 overs of any increased overs innings (with no further restrictions after the 45th over). Where the number of overs are reduced at the start of the game so are the maximum number of overs that each bowler may bowl. This is 1/3rd of the total for one bowler and 1/4 for all the others. This does not apply if the overs are reduced after the start - Clarifies how bowling restrictions apply if the number of overs are reduced at the start of a match due to a weather delayed start. Eg a 32 over per side game would mean one bowler could bowl ten and the others 8.
Use of Duckworth Lewis System in the Premier, Divisions 1A and 1B and in Cup Competitions.
- Added to appendix E
It should be noted, as per Rule 19d, that unless 20 overs in the 2nd innings have been completed the game will be abandoned as an uncompleted game, unless a team opts to chase the target or bowl out the opposition in less than 20 overs as per rule 19E (DLS). If the available overs is less than 20 the side batting second and electing to chase the 20 over target as calculated by the DLS method in fewer than 20 overs will lose the match if it is bowled out for less than the said target score or otherwise fails to achieve that score but will be entitled to bonus points as per appendix C.
The side bowling second electing to attempt to bowl out their opponents if fewer than 20 overs are available will lose the match if their opponents achieve the said target score or if it fails to bowl out their opponents but will be entitled to bonus points as per appendix C.
In either of the above circumstances, should there be a further suspension of play during this stage of the game it will end as an uncompleted game and 2 points will be awarded to each team along with any bonus points earned –
This allows a team the chance to go for a result if fewer than 20 overs are available but using the DLS targets based on 20 overs remaining.
If a game is interrupted so that the 2nd innings will be less than 20 overs either Captain may elect to play the remaining overs, however:
a) if the batting side so elect but then fail to reach the 20 over DLS target score they will be deemed to have lost the game.
- b) if the fielding side so elect and fail to bowl out the batting side they will be deemed to have lost the game.
- (vii) If a DLS target is reached in less than 20 overs there is no requirement to continue to play till 20 overs.
- (viii) In games where Duckworth Lewis is to apply, if there is a delay or an interruption occurs during the second innings of the game, the available overs shall be calculated as a count back from 8pm (7.30 pm in September), using 4 minutes = 1 over, 15 minutes = 4 overs. If the available overs is less that the expected total for the innings, a revised target should be calculated using Duckworth Lewis. Clarifies how the remaining overs should be calculated
- If a club cannot fulfil a cup fixture then the game shall be awarded to the opposition who progress to the next round. No further penalty to be imposed if the game is conceded by Friday 9pm. If the game is conceded after this cut off point a fine may be imposed and any costs incurred paid for by the team that concedes. If a team has incurred costs before Friday 9PM these will be considered and awarded if appropriate by the executive
- If a result is not possible on the nominated day due to bad weather the tie will be decided on the day by a bowl out or coin toss. There will not be a reserve day for any tie bar the semi-final and final of the cup competitions.
- .The winning Club inall cup ties must post the result of its match and notable performances on their play cricket website – using the prescribed procedure, as soon as possible after the end of the match, but not later than 10.00 p.m. or be fined £5.00
- Any player registered for the club, junior or senior, is eligible except professionals subject to the following
4a. When a club has multiple teams in this competition, A player may only play for one of these teams exclusively in one season. (The executive committee may give permission in exceptional circumstances)
4b. Anyone who has played 50% or more of league games in the Northern League cannot play in the T20 competition at any level
4c. Anyone who has played 50% or more of league games in the Palace Shield Premier Division cannot play in T20 Division 2
- If a club cannot fulfil a T20 fixture then the game shall be awarded to the opposition and a full 3 points awarded. No further penalty to be imposed. Provided at least 24 hours’ notice is given.
Code of Conduct
- iii) Any player receiving 2 L1Dos in any rolling 12 month period will receive an immediate and automatic 1 week ban. If the same player receives any further L1DOS in any rolling 12 month period they will receive an immediate and automatic 2 week ban for every additional L1DOS reported. – Clarifies the process if a player receives more than one L1DOS in a 12 month period
- Paper registration forms no longer need submitting, its is just a case of imputing the required details on play cricket
- Each umpire on the panel shall be paid £45 expenses for each match to which he is appointed and attends to officiate. Where no play is possible the panel umpire shall receive £25 expenses. Should a Panel Umpire, due to the non-attendance of his colleague, be required to officiate at the bowler's end throughout the match, he shall be entitled to £90 expenses Brings us into line with other leagues.
- The cost of panel umpires should be split between both clubs rather than being the responsibility of the home club
- Scorers & Scoreboard. Each team shall have a competent scorer, and failure to so provide shall incur a fine or points deduction as decided by the Management Committee. If a team fails to provide a scorer the team that does not have a scorer should pay £10 per innings to the person who is scoring the match on the understanding that they are doing both books. Clarifies what the payment should be if a club doesn’t provide a scorer, other penalties will still apply
- Rearranged games e.g. due to a club day - Games cannot be moved to after the final full set of fixtures in any Saturday division